Friday, July 17, 2009

so far so good

Ive seen the high risk docs and the reg. ones but im afraid to see my rheumatologist, he was the one to diagnoseme and has been my doc since then. I know he is gonna be disappointed because of the dangers for me and baby. So far so good the docs say baby is fine, but with patients with DM there is a higher possibility baby could die even after its born. The nurses that check me @home weekly have said im having probs w/my heart. I use to be on over a hundred mg of prednisone and could cope but now 10mg gets my heart beating. I dont know if the DM has weakened my heart because it is a muscle and therefore can be affected. Does anyone know how long people with DM usually live for? cuz my fear is that as i get older & body naturally gets weaker and w/DM its probably going to be worse. I guess only time will tell. So far so good.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosied with DM 2-1/2 years ago. (I probably had it for over 3 years.) I share your worries, but I try not to think about them more than once a day for 5 minutes. I read in an nih.gov article on DM that 10% of DM patients have an aggressive form of the disease and die in the first year. The article said the 5 year mortality rate is 20%. Death usually comes from side-effects of the medicine, getting an infection, or cancer. But those statistics are based on history, and a new drug for DM comes out every few years. We just have to hang in there until they come up with a drug that puts us into long term remission. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete