Wednesday, June 17, 2009

not contagious!

Whenever i was asked what was wrong w/me and tried to explain it people never understood. So now if i dont want to deal with the drama i just say i have lupus. That is a condition more people know about. I once told a lady in an elevator what i had and she said I was contagious and she was a nurse so she would know. WHAT AN IDIOT! I tried to explain that it was a malfunction with my cells and they could not possibly jump out at her and if i was contagious i think the cdc would do something about it. I was shocked and so were the others in the elevator and they werent nurses and understood my condition. WE ARE NOT CONTAGIOUS. People really should have more consideration for others feelings. I was still hurt even though I knew she was wrong.

3 comments:

  1. I've had my feelings hurt more than once. One person asked me if it was like AIDS. She thought since it had to do with the immune system it must be AIDS which she considered contagious. Elizabeth Wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Licensed Massage Therapist and I have a client with DM. I recently gave my client a massage during a flare they were having (not acute however still in a flare). The results of our bodywork treatment improved his wellbeing, his comfort level, decreased muscular tension (hypertonic mm), and put a huge smile on his face. I have to say, working with my clients doctors and keeping excellent communication with my client during the massage treatments has facilitated healing for my client. I'm so sorry you experienced someone's overly dramatic fear. I have never contracted DM from my client and I've been working with this client for several years. So next time you talk to this less than informed "Nurse", please tell her the success me and my client have had in treating muscle tension during my clients DM flare. Education is so important so keep sharing your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. regarding comment #2... When people let you know they are uneducated and clearly need to be informed, share with them the simple truth, that they need to educate themselves. Stupidity and ignorance are two things our world could do without! You should not be offended by anyones stupidity or ignorance!

    ReplyDelete